Wednesday, July 8, 2009

What? a new career path, you say?

I've been not blogging on purpose lately. Alot of things going on for me haven't been positive, and I don't want to have a blog where I bitch all the time ;)

But I've been doing alot of thinking about what I want to do with myself for the next 35-odd years. Maybe its because I'm turning 40 this year, and realizing I haven't done much of what I really want to do with my life.

to be honest, it started with a stupid Facebook app. I don't even remember what it is called. Its basically a comparison of your friends. When you start it gives you two friends' photos, and asks to you pick one based on different criteria. Some are silly, as in which of these friends would you rather date, or which friend is the hottest, etc. But there are some others as well, like who is more trustworthy, reliable, better friend, etc etc... Anyway, after your friends have compared you to their other friends, you can look at a rating. My ratings were good in alot of positive aspects, which I was really happy to see.
However, there's a question that really bothered me, it was "which friend is most likely to succeed?" Where did I rate? At the bottom :( I was in last place. I was devestated. I never really thought about success. I mean, I've been doing my line of work for 18 yrs or so... I'm good at it... But, have I been successful? I guess there's not much that I've done that has left a mark - only helping companies figure out if they are making money and how to cut costs to make more.

Now, this change isn't because of a stupid app on Facebook, I realize thats silly - but I've been doing alot of thinking lately about this career I have now, and wondering if its really what I want to do for the rest of my life, and I've decided its not. I'm going to make a change.
Now that I've typed that out, it means I'll have to do it now! lol (not that anyone reads my blog anyway)

So, what is it I want to do? I thought about many things I enjoy, and dreams I've had, and there's one that just won't go away. I've thought about having a farm, running a B&B, owning a yarn store, working in the travel industry... but there's one thing I've wanted to do for a long time that just won't get out of my head. I want to be a chef... well, a Pastry Chef to be concise. Whether that means working in a bakery, catering, or eventually having a business of my own - thats still in the air.
Cooking and baking is something I'm good at, something I enjoy doing, and I believe its something I can be successful doing.

Luckily, there are classes I can take at Louis Riel here in Winnipeg. If all goes well, I think I would like to start either next February or September. Still a bit of time away, but I need to make arrangements. I would need to change jobs, for one. I would need to be able to work off shifts so I can go to classes during the day. (Mandy may be helping me with this, I'm interested in a job with a travel agency - but, its commissions only, so that makes me a little nervous)

Anyway, hopefully this isn't all a pie in the sky dream (pun intended)
I want to make this work - and not have to come back in 6 months saying... nah, i'm not going to do what I love for work, i'm going to play it safe and stay where I am.
I like to play it safe, for the most part. But then again, If I had not been adventurous 3 1/2 years ago, I would have never moved to a different country, met and married the love of my life. So, I guess I need to make sure I take a chance when I can!!

Wish me luck and I'm always up for suggestions!!

No comments: